The terms ‘adjustment” and ‘adaptation” pervades our thinking about mental health. Another concept of mental health is that well rounded personality. The pressures of society for developing a well rounded personality are quite relentless. Many highly creative children apparently seem odd. They feel their parents and teachers do not understand them. Many societies abide by rigid concepts of masculinity and femininity and those whose behavior does not conform to these norms are considered mentally ill or delinquent.
Concept of abnormality varies according to the frame of reference. Individuals, families, societies and nations go by different frames of reference. A person may be considered quite healthy according to one frame of reference and mentally ill according to another.
According to JAHODA mental health may be considered in terms of the following aspects of an individual:
Mental health is necessary for the complete functioning of the mind. It is a basic condition for the growth of mind. Mental illness renders a person incapable of coping with reality and robs him to the zest for life and desire to learn.
The approaches of Dr Rupa Talukdar
Counselling Services: Have a good IDEA….
- Counselling is guidance: Something that provides direction or advice as to a decision or course of action
- Psychotherapy is a set of techniques intended to cure or improve psychological and behavioural problems in humans. The commonest form of psychotherapy is direct personal contact between therapist and client, mainly in the form of talking.
- Counselling is a type of psychotherapy which helps people address and resolve their problems and work through their feelings.
- Counselling is a process where clients are helped in dealing with their personal and interpersonal conflicts by a third party therapist.
- Counselling is for helping the client resolves conscious conflicts with the focus on setting goals and problem solving. A wide variety of techniques any be used including verbal communication. Counsellors assist the clients to focus on constructive behaviours which will help the client reach specific goals. A counsellor’s training background may be from a variety of fields, including education, health care and psychology.
- Extensive one-to-one sessions carried out by specially trained staff. The aim of such sessions is to reach an informed decision.
Counselling involves the development of a relationship between the client and a trained professional that focuses on clients’ concerns and difficulties. It is a process in which individuals have the opportunity to improve upon their understanding of themselves, including their patterns of thoughts, behaviours, feelings and the ways in which theses may have been problematic in their lives.